Books on literary criticism of short stories can be found in the library by checking the library catalog for materials on the subject. A search by the author or by the title of the work can be made by inserting the search terms in either the Words or Phrase or Subject search boxes. If this does not work, look for criticisms or bibliographies on the author or short stories in general. Also the textbook probably offers a list of works about the author or the story. Check these references in the catalog by author or title search.
• Twentieth Century Short Story Explication. With its Supplements this reference work lists criticisms from books and periodicals published from 1900-1994. (R PN 3311 .A05 W3)
• Essay and General Literature Index. This reference work indexes chapters and essays in books. The arrangement is alphabetical. After each entry the title and author of the book in which it appears is given. Check the library catalog to see if we own the book indexed. Coverage is from 1900-2003. (R AI 3 .E752)
• Short Stories for Students. This reference work focuses on individual short stories by many authors. Each entry includes biographical information on the author, summaries of the plot, characters, themes, and style, an historical guide and a few selected criticisms. The indexes to the set are cumulative and can be searched by author, title, subject, theme, nationality, and ethnicity. (R PN 3373 .S 3845 1997)
• Short Story Criticism. This ten volume reference work covers criticism on selected authors through 1988. (R PN 3321 .S56 1988)
• Critical Survey of Short Fiction. Often called Magill’s, this work contains critical essays on major short story authors. It includes a list of the authors’ works as well as bibliographies. The last volume includes the index.The library has both the original edition and the revised edition. (R PN 3321 .C7)
Online resources include online journals, websites, periodical indexes and databases (which may contain full-text articles) and electronic books (listed in the library catalog). The online resources may be accessed through the UAH Library Homepage. Click on the
Online Databases link to search the contents of journals or click on the Journals link to find specific journal titles.
• MLA Bibliography
• Literature Resource Center
• Project Muse
• Oxford University Press Journals
• Expanded Academic Index
• Academic Search Premier
• Web of Science (includes Arts & Humanities Citation Index)
With Super Search the user can search multiple databases with one search. An example of a multiple search is Google, but unlike Google, searching with Super Search results in only academic results.
Is there a guide or pathfinder you would like to see on this list? Tell us!